Victoria's colourful public markets bring vibrancy to the city with a wonderful array of goods and entertainment. Many markets feature farmers selling their locally grown and hand-crafted products. Stroll through the stalls or simply sit and enjoy the market atmosphere. For inspiration, check out a few of the outdoor markets below, or go straight to the full list of public markets.
- Stretching from Victoria's waterfront on Wharf Street to Government Street, Bastion Square's colourful open-air public market brings vibrancy to Old Town Victoria with its wonderful array of locally produced arts, crafts and entertainment. Watch artisans as they create their crafts, or sit and enjoy the market atmosphere at one of the local outdoor cafes.
- Located behind the Parliament Buildings at Menzies and Superior Streets, James Bay Market takes place very Saturday rain or shine, May through October 11. Whether you're a local in need of some fresh red peppers, or a visitor looking for that unique something from Victoria, James Bay Market has it all.
- Over 25 local and organic farmers, amazing prepared and hot food vendors, and dozens of local artisans set up shop in the trendy Fairfield neighbourhood each Saturday for the popular Moss Street Market.
- Taking place in the picturesque town of Sidney-by-the-Sea, the Sidney Street Marketfeatures local food, crafts and gifts just a 20 minute drive from downtown Victoria.
- South Vancouver Island's best venue for vintage, retro and collectible items, quality designed arts and crafts and recycled bargains, the Victoria Flea Market relocates from its winter home to Market Square for June through September.
Outdoor ShoppingNow is a great time to shop for fresh summer dress and sandals to wear while exploring the public markets. From high fashion and one-of-a-kind boutiques, to international retail stores recognized worldwide, you'll find no shortage of clothing and apparel shops to satisfy your needs. Head to Market Square located on the funky "LoJo" fashion strip and also part of the home décor Design District to find lots of interesting local shops, popular boutiques, and tasty eateries in this historic part of Old Town Victoria.
The Right Gear to Get OutsideIt's also a great time to upgrade your workout gear for the season. Vancouver Islanders also take their outdoor activities seriously so it's no surprise that Victoria is home to a diverse range of outdoor apparel and equipment suppliers. Look for innovative, functional clothing and gear designs, combined with quality and excellent value.
If you consider shopping part of a great vacation, you'll find no shortage of Therapeutical Shopilation in Victoria. Prepare to be envied when you get home and show off your purchases to family and friends!