Corporation of the Township of Esquimalt

1229 Esquimalt RD Esquimalt BC V9A 3P1

    Visit Website

    Esquimalt’s name is derived from a native Indian expression “Es-whoy-malth” which means “place of shoaling waters.” The municipality was incorporated in 1912 so will celebrate its centennial year in 2012.

    Esquimalt is the home of Canada’s naval presence on the West Coast. The natural harbour was first used by ships of the Royal Navy as early as 1837. The Naval Base was formally authorized on June 29, 1865 and transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1910.

    Today, just under 17,000 people live in Esquimalt and enjoy its many amenities, which include 29 hectares (72 acres) of beautiful parks, scenic waterfront walkways, recreational facilities, a superb golf course, shopping and restaurants

    Image Gallery

    Download Victoria's Vacation Guide

    Destination Greater Victoria is honoured to be based on the traditional territory of the Lekwungen-speaking peoples of the Songhees Nation and the Esquimalt Nation, whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.