Valentine’s Day is around the corner and what better place to celebrate your relationship than in beautiful Victoria? Informally known as the Hallmark capital of Canada, Victoria’s blend of old-world charm and modern culinary infusions make for a delightful day of activities.
Whether you’re stopping through town to recharge from routine, or a local looking to spice up your week with a dash of romance, here’s your guide on how to have a Hallmark Valentine’s Day in Victoria, BC.
After a slow, cozy morning, coffee and brunch is the perfect way to start your day on the right foot. You can check out our full list of brunch spots here, but we’ve also hand-selected a few favourites:
- Bear & Joey
- Celebrate Valentine’s morning at Bear & Joey, where the sunlit café offers the perfect backdrop for a romantic brunch. Their health-conscious and aesthetically pleasing dishes are ideal for a loving start to your day. Just a short distance from downtown and Cook Street Village, this Australian-influenced establishment also makes for a lovely walking destination.
- LURE Restaurant & Bar
- LURE provides a romantic setting with its breathtaking waterfront views overlooking the Inner Harbour. Share a special moment over their mouth-watering brunch menu, creating Valentine’s Day memories against Victoria’s most iconic backdrop. Delta Hotels Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort is also offering a Valentine’s Day Room Package, available from Feb. 1 to Mar. 31, which includes breakfast for two at LURE Restaurant & Bar.
- Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub
- Spinnakers combines the charm of a gastro brewpub with the intimacy ideal for Valentine’s Day. Enjoy a cozy brunch in a setting that sparks romance and conversation. After brunch, take a stroll through Lime Bay Park and ship-gaze over the water.
- The Bard & Banker Public House
- Immerse yourself in the historic ambiance of Bard & Banker, a charming restaurant in one of downtown’s oldest buildings. Nostalgic and romantic, this intimate setting makes for a perfect start to Valentine’s Day.
Following brunch, a stretch of the legs is in order. Maybe you want to explore the outdoors, or perhaps you’re more inclined to a warm and toasty excursion. Regardless of your adventure style, we’ve got something for you.
- Walk the majestic Butchart Gardens
- Perhaps the most well-known venue in Greater Victoria aside from the Parliament buildings, The Butchart Gardens is the quintessential Valentine’s Day experience. Surrounded by floral beauty, you’ll never want to leave.
- Take a Harbour Air Tour
- Make this Valentine’s Day unforgettable with a scenic Harbour Air Side-by-side, take in the Victoria skyline from a rare vantage point and soak in the moment. Choose between 20- or 35-minute flights for a short yet exhilarating experience.
- Explore the Inner Harbour with Hot Tub Boat Victoria
- Looking for a splash of adventure in your day? Look no further than Hot Tub Boat Victoria. It’s the perfect combination of sightseeing and relaxation, while sharing the moment with your significant other.
- Relax during Afternoon Tea at Abkhazi Garden
- Victoria is known for Afternoon Tea, and Abkhazi Garden is one of the finest settings in the city. Overlooking a pristine garden in a quiet area of town, you’ll lose all sense of time in the tranquility of the garden. Paired with delicious morsels, it’s an invitation for intimate connection.
- Unwind at the Spa
- Take a Walk along Dallas Road
- For a free yet remarkable experience, go for a stroll along Dallas Road and let your senses be awed by the power of the ocean. With over 7km of prime waterfront views, there are plenty of starting points to choose from. If it’s your first time in the city, we recommend checking out Finlayson Point or Ogden Point for some breathtaking views.
The final touch on your dream day: dinner with the best of company. Each of these three restaurants are not only critically acclaimed for their food, but also their elegant surroundings.
- Vista 18
- Perched atop the Chateau Victoria Hotel, Vista 18 offers a romantic Valentine’s dinner like no other, boasting an unparalleled view of the Inner Harbour and the city’s twinkling lights. Experience the charm of dining high above the city, where the ambiance is as spectacular as the menu.
- Il Covo Trattoria
- Nestled in the heart of James Bay, Il Covo gifts you a genuine Italian experience this Valentine’s Day. As you step into this cozy trattoria, you’re instantly transported to Italy with its rustic decor and warm ambiance. Celebrate love with their hand-crafted, authentic Italian dishes, made with locally-sourced ingredients.
- Little Jumbo
- Tucked away on Fort Street, Little Jumbo offers a Valentine’s Day dinner experience that’s as unique as your love story. Known for its fine dining in a relaxed atmosphere, this restaurant specializes in crafting innovative dishes that will tantalize your taste buds. The dimly lit, intimate space sets the stage for an evening of deep conversations and shared laughter.
- Blue Crab Seafood House
- Just steps away from Fisherman’s Wharf, Blue Crab Seafood House presents an unforgettable Valentine’s Day dining experience. Begin your evening with a choice of sophisticated appetizers before indulging in culinary masterpieces such as Pan Roasted Lamb Rib Chops, Atlantic Lobster Thermidor, Beef Tenderloin with Crab Ravioli, or Classic Pan Roasted Gnocchi. The night culminates with a Shared Dark Chocolate Open Face Tart, a perfect ode to love.
Valentine’s Day isn’t complete without the perfect place to unwind from your magical day. You deserve a restful night, and you can sleep easy knowing that each of these hotels were recently featured in Condé Nast Traveler’s Top 15 Hotels in Western Canada.
- Fairmont Empress
- A symbol of elegance and romance, the Fairmont Empress has a long history in the heart of Victoria. This storied hotel boasts an incredible view of the harbour and arguably the city’s best location. With luxurious rooms and top-tier service, you’ll sleep well.
- Oak Bay Beach Hotel
- On Victoria’s eastern shore, the Oak Bay Beach Hotel offers an invitation to serenity. Perfectly situated for the morning sunrise, you’ll enjoy the amenities the hotel has to offer—from turquoise mineral pools to the rejuvenating Boathouse Spa.
- The Magnolia Hotel & Spa
- The Magnolia Hotel & Spa offers a boutique Valentine’s experience. Its chic, comfortable rooms and personalized service provide a peaceful and romantic haven in the city’s heart. Adjacent to the lobby is The Spa Magnolia, a tranquil escape from the strains of everyday life.
Visiting from Washington?
Indulge in a Valentine’s escape to one of Canada’s most romantic cities! Set sail with your beloved aboard the Black Ball Ferry Line to Victoria, BC, a city where sophistication and laid-back charm walk hand-in-hand. Wander through quaint streets and along waterfront promenades, the retreat to the cozy accommodations included in Black Ball Ferry Line’s Valentine’s package. Amidst the historic architecture and lush gardens, each moment spent in this Canadian jewel becomes a cherished memory of love. Book your stay today!
Looking for more travel ideas? Visit our website for inspiration, itineraries and more!