As Greater Victoria’s first flowers begin to bloom, this slice of paradise is ready to embrace adventurers for another season of exploration. And with spring break approaching, let Greater Victoria be your haven for rejuvenation.
From majestic old growth forests and vibrant marine life to urban parks and accessible infrastructure, Victoria is the perfect destination for young families. Are you ready to explore?
Regardless of where you’re coming from, there are many convenient ways to make it to our coastal home! If you’re in British Columbia or Washington State, consider taking the scenic route with BC Ferries, the FRS Clipper or Black Ball Ferry Line. The meandering journey through the Gulf Islands or across the Strait of Juan de Fuca never fails to amaze and comes with the unique benefit of up-close wildlife sightings.
If you’re coming from out of province or a bit further away, Victoria has flight connections from many locations across North America, from airlines like Air Canada, Flair Airlines, Harbour Air Seaplanes, Kenmore Air, Pacific Coastal Airlines and WestJet Airlines.
However you choose to get here, enjoy peace of mind knowing that there’s a sustainable travel provider at every turn.
Choosing your accommodation
Travelling with children can look a bit different than a solo or couples’ trip, and often times it’s reassuring to have some comforts of home. So, while you might already have your sights set on a certain hotel, here are some “suite” options if you’re looking for some extra space to let your kids hang out.
- Victoria Regent Waterfront Hotel & Suites | Downtown: Nestled along Victoria’s picturesque waterfront, the Victoria Regent Waterfront Hotel & Suites offers a breathtaking vista. This destination is perfect for families and couples alike, boasting luxurious accommodations and only a stone’s throw away from the vibrant heart of downtown Victoria.
- Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel | Downtown: Also in the lively epicenter of downtown Victoria stands the Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel. A harmonious blend of historic elegance and contemporary comfort, this hotel promises a restful stay, with Victoria’s main attractions just a leisurely stroll away.
- Chateau Victoria Hotel & Suites | Downtown: Chateau Victoria Hotel & Suites, a gem in Victoria’s crown, is renowned for its prime location and inviting beds. Whether opting for a suite with a full kitchen for an extended stay or a shorter visit, guests will revel in the panoramic splendors of Vista 18, an on-site restaurant offering a culinary journey as impressive as its views.
- Royal Scot Hotel & Suites | James Bay: Tucked away in historic James Bay, the Royal Scot Hotel & Suites makes for a great home base for exploration. Spacious and inviting, the rooms are just the beginning—with an indoor pool and game room to delight. Its proximity to key excursions positions it as a prime family-friendly location.
- Days Inn on the Harbour | James Bay: The Days Inn on the Harbour in James Bay marries affordability with comfort. A short distance from Victoria’s bustling waterfront and downtown, this hotel is a beacon of warm hospitality, offering all the essentials you need for a memorable stay.
- Robin Hood Inn & Suites | Burnside: In the Burnside neighbourhood, Robin Hood Inn & Suites stands as a testament to budget-friendly charm. With its impeccably clean and snug rooms, the hotel extends a welcoming atmosphere ideal for both fleeting visits and longer sojourns.
- Days Inn Victoria Uptown | Burnside: Perched in the Burnside area near the Galloping Goose bike path, the Days Inn Victoria Uptown is a sanctuary of comfort and affordability. Renowned for its welcoming staff and pristine rooms, this hotel is a preferred choice for those seeking a peaceful retreat within the city.
Activities for the whole family
Whether you’ve packed a stroller or are travelling with teenagers, Victoria is filled with activities for all ages. From historical exhibits to interactive adventures, your family will never be at a loss for curiosity.
- Royal BC Museum
- Step back in time at the Royal BC Museum, a treasure trove of British Columbia’s history. Interactive exhibits immerse families in the natural and cultural heritage of the region. It’s a place where history comes alive through storytelling and hands-on activities, making it a perfect educational adventure for families. Current exhibitions include Dinosaurs of BC (until April 7), a Natural History Gallery portraying wildlife on Vancouver Island, and “Old Town, New Approach” a trip through BC’s past.
- Victoria Bug Zoo
- Explore the tiny, vibrant world at the Victoria Bug Zoo. This unique indoor experience allows children to safely view and learn about a variety of exotic insects. It’s an educational journey that encourages curiosity and respect for the natural world, providing families with a memorable and interactive experience. As a bonus, children aged 4 & under receive free admission.
- Beacon Hill Park
- Beacon Hill Park is a favourite of locals and visitors alike, offering a perfect mix of nature and entertainment at the Children’s Farm. Families can engage with friendly farm animals, stroll through lush gardens, and enjoy scenic, peaceful views. It’s a haven for outdoor family fun and relaxation, with activities that cater to all ages.
- Miniature World
- Miniature World is a magical place that brings stories to life in tiny scale. From historical battles to fairy-tale scenes, each exhibit is a window into a different world. It’s a fascinating and imaginative experience for families, where the smallest details spark the biggest imaginations.
- Dino Lab
- Discover the ancient world of dinosaurs at Dino Lab. Interactive displays and hands-on activities provide an educational and awe-inspiring experience. Families can learn about dinosaur science in a fun environment, making it a perfect spot for budding paleontologists and outdoor adventurers.
- Victoria Butterfly Gardens
- The Victoria Butterfly Gardens offer an escape to a vibrant jungle experience, filled with all kinds of exotic plants and animals. It’s an educational and visually stunning experience, where families can learn about butterfly life cycles and ecosystems in a truly immersive setting.
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Fisherman’s Wharf is a vibrant and colourful part of Victoria’s maritime culture. Families can enjoy fresh seafood, observe local marine life, and explore the unique floating neighbourhood. It’s a lively destination that combines food, shopping, and entertainment, making it a must-visit spot for families seeking a taste of Victoria’s coastal charm.
- Victoria Royals
- For hockey fans, attending a Victoria Royals game is a must! With the regular season winding down, the Royals will look to secure a playoff spot with a five-game home stretch from March 9-22. An atmosphere like no other, you’ll leave the game feeling invigorated for the rest of your stay.